Whether it is as simple as building a shed or deck, or as complex as a new home or addition, Somerset Borough realizes that there are many things to consider when undertaking a new residential construction project.
As always, if there are any questions, or additional information is required, do not hesitate to contact the Somerset Borough Inspection Department at 814-445-5595 between the hours 6:30am to 3:00pm Monday through Friday.
This permiting department is for the Borough of Somerset in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. For information on another specific Borough or Township located in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, please view the Somerset County Building Inspections, LLC web site at www.somersetcountyinspections.com .
Below is a list that require permits in the Borough of Somerset.
Residential Zoning and Residential Building Permits that are required prior to the construction of the following:
- New Homes
- Additions to homes
- Detached Garages (over 1000 square feet)
- Garages - Attached or Integral
- Decks, (over 30" from grade level)
- Deck roof, Porch roof
- Porches - with or without roof structure
- Remodeling - Any remodeling or alterations of the house which involves changing the structure or supporting members, such as creating new window or door openings, as opposed to replacing windows or doors.
- Roof - changes to the roof (such as adding dormers or in changing from a flat roof to a gable roof) A permit is not required for replacement of shingles.
- Sheds - Utility sheds (over 1000 square feet)
- Swimming pools - (in-ground pool and above ground pools that are over 24" deep which also includes the inflatable type of pools.)
- Spas/Hot tubs - Indoors and outdoors
- Finished basements - permits are required when new walls, doors, windows, bedrooms, or other passageways are created.
- Installations to plumbing/mechanical/electrical. (No permit required for replacement of hot water heater).
- Demolition (Asbestos Abatement And Demolition/Renovation Notification Form may be required).
- Item numbers 9 – 10 – 15 do not require a zoning permit.
A Residential Zoning Permit is required for the following:
- Detached Garages
- Swimming Pool less than 24” deep
- Any change in use of structure
Other Permits that are required by the Borough of Somerset:
- Shade Tree
Permit applications may be obtained at the Inspections Department in the Borough Building, 347 West Union Street or printed from our web site. The building inspector will review all applications for permits and determine whether the proposed work, zoning, building, plumbing, mechanical, and subdivision conform to various Borough Codes and Ordinances. If the codes and ordinances are met, a permit will be issued.
Larger projects may need additional time for review and many require other agency permits:
- The State Department of Labor and Industry
- County Conservation District
- Borough Planning Commission
- Borough Zoning Hearing Board
- The Department of Environmental Protection
Those with such projects are urged to get in touch with the Borough as early as possible in the planning stage. For further details 445-5595.
UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE
Much has been aid recently concerning the Uniform Construction Code. The Uniform Construction Code is a set of regulations that everyone in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania must follow when making repairs to a structure, or when building a structure. Permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure. They are needed when the occupancy of a building or structure changes or when water or sanitary sewer facilities are added. Permits are also required for driveway construction, and for fences.
For residents of Somerset Borough very little will change. We will continue to administer and enforce the Uniform Construction Code. The Borough’s building inspector and zoning officer will review all permit applications to determine whether the proposed work conforms to the various Borough ordinances. Large projects may need additional time for review and many require permits from other agencies, such as the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Labor and Industry, Somerset County Conservation District, and the Somerset Borough Planning Commission and Zoning Hearing Board. Those with such projects are urged to contact the Borough as early as possible in the planning stages.
If you are uncertain as to whether or not your project needs a permit or an inspection, please contact the Somerset Borough Inspections Office at 814-445-5595.